After a cat is injured, we issue a collar warning
Pet owners should be aware of the dangers that certain collars pose to cats. As cats can sustain severe cat injured or even death if they don’t wear the correct type of collar, it is vital that they do not suffer from them. We received more than 60 calls last year from cats who were injured by their collars.
Collar cutting in the skin
After a black cat fell to the roadside, Kate Levesley, our inspector, was called to pick up the cat.
To avoid injury, use quick-release collars
Cats are naturally hunters and curious explorers. They love pushing through tight places so any collar should be designed to release them if they get snagged or catch their leg.
The quick-release collar can be pulled open with enough force. It can also allow a cat to be released from their collar if it becomes stuck.
Elasticated collars and collars with buckles that don’t let go without human assistance can cause severe injuries to cats.
Some collars can do serious damage
Ollie, the tabby cat
After being rescued from Biddulph, Ollie, a tabby cat, was brought to our care last July. His buckle collar had also caused severe injuries to his neck. He was believed to have been suffering from this injury for approximately three weeks. The collar was embedded in his neck, and the wound was very smelly and infected.
He had surgery and was taken to Stapeley Grange Cattery, Cheshire. He made a full recovery. Later, he was rehomed.
Poppy, the black cat
After being found with severe collar injuries under her right leg, Poppy, a black cat, was taken in by Liz Braidley (Animal Welfare Officer) in Sheffield. After being found with a severe collar injury under her right front leg, Poppy spent several weeks in intensive care at the vets. She was cared for by the vet for seven months, during which she recovered. The vet then gave her a permanent home.
Charlie, a grey long-haired cat
After Charlie, a grey-long-haired cat with a limp, was found in West Yorkshire last January, his foot was stuck in his collar. The wound had become infected, and was very smelly. He had suffered muscle damage because the collar was so deeply embedded in his armpit.
He had been suffering for at least two to three weeks before being rescued by the vet. Charlie was able to recover well after surgery the following day. Our Halifax, Bradford, Bradford and District branches took care of Charlie for nearly a year, before he was finally able to recover and was rehomed.