Here’s everything you need to know about 6 animals that start with V
The animal kingdom is large and diverse. Here’s a list of all the most popular animals that begin with v.
Animals that Start with V
Vampire Bat is scientifically known as Desmodus Rotundus. Its common name is Common Vampire Bat.
- The species lives for 9 years in the wild.
- It can reach up to 3.5 inches in height and have a wingspan of 7 1/2 inches.
- The average bat weight is 2 ounces, but this can vary and be doubled in one feeding.
- Vampire Bat is a carnivore, which means it eats cows, pigs and horses.
- Most bat species were found in Mexico, Central and South America.
- It can detect prey animals by hearing their breathing sounds.
- Vervet Monkey, a small black-faced monkey, is one example.
- This species is extremely common in East Africa.
- Certain monkey subspecies can be silvery-grey or greenish-olive.
- The appearance of the head, ears, hands and feet are all black. A white band at the forehead blends is also present.
- Male species are slightly bigger than females, and can be identified easily by a red penis and a turquoise-blue stool.
- The average avarage life expectancy is 30 years, and the average animal gestation time is 30 years.
- Leopards, eagles, and humans are the natural predators.
- It can grow to 400-600 millimetres long with a tail of approximately 300-500 millimetres.
- The average avarage weight is between 3 and 5 kilograms.
- It thrives in high bush, woodland and savanna areas.
- Vicuna is one of the smallest species in the Camelidae family.
- The range of South American camelids is from the Andes in southern Peru, western Bolivia and northwestern Argentina.
- Vicuna prefers semiarid rolling pasturelands and plains between 3,500-5,750 metres.
- Vicuna, the Peruvian national animal, appears on the Peruvian coat-of-arms.
- Viper is one of the 200 venomous snake species in the Viper family.
- The long hinged fangs allow for deep penetration of venom into prey. This makes it distinct from other snakes.
- There are four types of viper snakes: Fea’s vipers, night adders (Causinae), pit vipers and pit vipers.
- Two hollow fangs are located in front of the mouth on viper snakes and connect to a rotating maxillary bones.
- Their pupils are oval-shaped and vertically oriented. Sizes can vary depending on species.
- Viperfish are a marine fish belonging to the genus Chauliodus.
- It is easily identifiable by its long, needle-like and hinged lower jaws.
- Viperfish can grow to 30-60 cm in length and prefer to live in shallower depths (250-5,000 ft) during the day and at night.
- It thrives in temperate and tropical waters.
- There are many fish species that come in different colours, including black, silver and green.
- Viperfish use its fang-like teeth and speed to trap prey it captures.
- The small rodent vole is also known by the names field mice or meadow mice.
- There are currently 70 known species of voles. They are well-known for their small ears and blunt noses.
- It can grow to as high as 3”-7” in length with four legs.
- This diet includes tubers, seeds, tree needles and bark. It also includes various green vegetation like grass, clover and insects.
- Olives are preferred by animals to be grown in the fields.
- The vulture is a large bird-of-prey. 23 species have been identified so far.
- Bird species are well-known for their keen sense of smell and sight.
- The sub-Saharan African sub-Saharan African hooded vulture, which is crow-sized and only five feet in length, is the smallest vulture on the planet.
- Vultures can eat carrion, and they will eat any kind of meat. However, carcasses may be so rotten that it can be toxic to other animals.
- Vultures have weak legs and feet so that they don’t carry prey back home to their chicks.